Firefox not connecting to SQL on LAMP server

Question

After installing CentOS 8 and using the instructions here on LinuxHint.com to install Sql, PHP, and Apache, I'm unable to make a connection from Firefox or Chrome to the SQL server.  Here are my installed versions:

CentOS Linux 8.1.1911
Apache 2.4.37
MariaDB 10.3.17
PHP 7.2.11
HeidiSQL 10.2.0.5599 (Windows Admin Client)

I'm using a private network - 192.168.5.0/24 with the server on 5.4 and using laptop for testing at 5.220.  Here is a .php file I'm using to test the connection from Firefox:

<?php
$link = mysqli_connect("192.168.5.4", "guardian", "green85", "bdstory");

if (!$link) {
    echo "Error: Unable to connect to MySQL." . PHP_EOL;
    echo "Debugging errno: " . mysqli_connect_errno() . PHP_EOL;
    echo "Debugging error: " . mysqli_connect_error() . PHP_EOL;
    exit;
}

echo "Success: A proper connection to MySQL was made! The my_db database is great." . PHP_EOL;
echo "Host information: " . mysqli_get_host_info($link) . PHP_EOL;

mysqli_close($link);
?>

Output of the /var/log/php-fpm/www-error.log file:

[23-Feb-2020 15:57:41 UTC] PHP Warning:  mysqli_connect(): (HY000/2002): Permission denied in /var/www/html/querytest.php on line 29

Now the crazy part is that from my Windows laptop and using HeidiSQL I am able to connect to the Mariadb and manage the databases, tables, and user.  But the PHP script in the browser does not.  I am completely stumped.  Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

3 answers to this question

Hi Gene,

It may be because of SELinux. Can you set it to permissive mode and try to see if the script works?

To set SELinux to permissive mode temporarily, run the following command:

$ sudo setenforce 0

Then, you can run the following command to confirm whether the SELinux mode is changed to permissive mode.

$ sudo getenforce

Example:

image.png.0b243a9f3f320f4f4b56e771c271f9ef.png

If SELinux is causing the problem, then you will have to configure SELinux for the web root directory and its contents.

Wish you all the best.

Shovon

Shovon,

Thanks for the reply.  I had shutdown the firewall:

FirewallD is not running

But did not think about SELinux.  Setting it to Permissive appears to have resolved my issue.  Since this is a totally private server for my sole development and testing I'll probably leave it that way.

Thanks again, Your article about installation of PHP, SQL, and Apache was very helpful.

Gene