Question regarding pflogsumm

Question

I read this article and I think this is a great tool. https://linuxhint.com/analyze_postfix_logs_pflogsumm/

I was wondering if there is a way to use pflogsumm remotely? i.e. I have a server that I want to use to connect and run pflogsumm on 15 other servers, grab the information and send it all together in one report.

Is this possible?

1 answer to this question

21 hours ago, notslayer said:

I read this article and I think this is a great tool. https://linuxhint.com/analyze_postfix_logs_pflogsumm/

I was wondering if there is a way to use pflogsumm remotely? i.e. I have a server that I want to use to connect and run pflogsumm on 15 other servers, grab the information and send it all together in one report.

Is this possible?

Hi notslayer,
You can download the logs from all 15 servers to the server where you want to run pflogsumm and generate a report from there.

You can write a shell script to automate everything. This should save you a lot of work and time. 

For example, the shell script may look as follows:

#!/bin/bash
ssh root@s1.example.com 'cat /var/log/maillog' > ~/maillog
ssh root@s2.example.com 'cat /var/log/maillog' >> ~/maillog
ssh root@s3.example.com 'cat /var/log/maillog' >> ~/maillog
ssh root@s4.example.com 'cat /var/log/maillog' >> ~/maillog
ssh root@s5.example.com 'cat /var/log/maillog' >> ~/maillog
ssh root@s6.example.com 'cat /var/log/maillog' >> ~/maillog

cat ~/maillog | pflogsumm | more

Once you run this shell script in the server where you want to generate the report, it should SSH into all the other servers, read the /var/log/maillog file and append the contents of that file to the ~/maillog file of your server (where you want to generate the report from). Then, you can generate reports using pflogsumm program using the combined log file ~/maillog.

I would also advise you to setup passwordless SSH login for the other servers to avoid typing passwords for each of these servers every time you run the script. To know how to setup passwordless SSH login, check the article Setup Passwordless Login to Servers via SSH

I hope this helps. Wishing you all the best.

Shovon