Live kali with persistence

Question

Hey all. I am a super noon so bear with please. I just followed the Ken Marr instructions on making a live usb if kali. I assumed that there was something I didn't understand regarding the fact that the install was like 3 gig and the persistence called for 4.5 and that left a 20 gig chunk of unallocated at the end of my drive.  Can I throw a file system on it and move some stuff like my /home or something over there. There's no room for anything else on the installed portion. This doesn't make any sense at all lol. I know there's something I'm not seeing so be gentle with me. 

1 answer to this question

11 hours ago, Cmonster said:

Hey all. I am a super noon so bear with please. I just followed the Ken Marr instructions on making a live usb if kali. I assumed that there was something I didn't understand regarding the fact that the install was like 3 gig and the persistence called for 4.5 and that left a 20 gig chunk of unallocated at the end of my drive.  Can I throw a file system on it and move some stuff like my /home or something over there. There's no room for anything else on the installed portion. This doesn't make any sense at all lol. I know there's something I'm not seeing so be gentle with me. 

Hi Cmonster,
According to the official Documentation of Kali Linux, you can create a big persistence partition on the unallocated disk space. All you have to do is,

1. Create a new partition on the unallocated disk space with the label persistence.

2. Mount the persistence partition.

3. Create a persistence.conf file in the persistence partition with the following content:

/ union

I hope this helps.

Shovon