Replacing an old NIS server with a new NIS server

Question

Greeting,

The lab I work for  needs to replace the old NIS hardware server with a new server.

What files do i need to copy/move over to the new NIS server?

The new NIS server and NIS client will have a different IP , but same hostnames and the same domain name as the old NIS server. The only difference is the old NIS runs Ubuntu 16.04 and the new NIS server will run Ubuntu 18.04. The NIS clients is a mix of Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04.

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 answers to this question

On 11/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, Legio06 said:

Greeting,

The lab I work for  needs to replace the old NIS hardware server with a new server.

What files do i need to copy/move over to the new NIS server?

The new NIS server and NIS client will have a different IP , but same hostnames and the same domain name as the old NIS server. The only difference is the old NIS runs Ubuntu 16.04 and the new NIS server will run Ubuntu 18.04. The NIS clients is a mix of Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Legio06,

There is tool called ypxfr. ypxfr is used to transfer a NIS database from a remote server to a local server. I have never tried it. But, according to the description (in manpage), it seems like you have to run ypxfr on your new NIS server. The tool will automatically import all the information from your old NIS server.

To learn more about ypxfr, check the manpage of ypxfr.

I hope this helps.

Shovon

8 hours ago, Legio06 said:

Thank you Shovon,

I will definitely look into ypxfr

This will be my first time migrating an old NIS server to a new one. I am kind of nervous this migration.

Thank you again for your help.

Eric

You're welcome.

I see. You can do a test run on some virtual machines. If it works, then do the migration in your NIS servers.

I wish you all the best.

You're welcome again. Let me know if you need any help.

Shovon