Question

Hi Guys, very new to Linux, I have a Dell inspiron 5100 laptop Pentium 4 with 1 gig ram which originally had win xp and now win7, as Microsoft have seen fit to drop support for this OS and after a clean install and no drivers, I was wondering what Linux OS you could suggest, it is a lovely old laptop and wish to use it mainly for family history and email   

Thank you

Laurie

1 answer to this question

7 hours ago, Walter001 said:

Hi Guys, very new to Linux, I have a Dell inspiron 5100 laptop Pentium 4 with 1 gig ram which originally had win xp and now win7, as Microsoft have seen fit to drop support for this OS and after a clean install and no drivers, I was wondering what Linux OS you could suggest, it is a lovely old laptop and wish to use it mainly for family history and email   

Thank you

Laurie

Hi Walter,

You can use Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Linux Mint (XFCE and MATE version), and many other Linux distributions on your laptop. I recommend you to use Lubuntu 18.04 LTS or 20.04 LTS on your laptop as it requires very small amount of memory. You will have lots of free memory for other programs. 

You can download Lubuntu from the official download page of Lubuntu.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask anytime. 🙂

Shovon