Question

I have wanted to go to Linux for a while now (see Disp. Name), and recently did something about it. I have replaced the Win 8.1 on my Acer Aspire XC-603 computer with Ubuntu 20.04.

I am now thinking about applications. I am used to Nero 8, Microsoft Office, Media Player Classic, VLC Player, Cool Edit Pro 2, Paint, Power Director, RealTek Control Panel, and I am apprehensive about transferring all my projects to new Ubuntu Apps.

What do you advise?

Is it possible to install any of my favourite (old) applications onto Ubuntu 20.04?

Patrick.

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, Obliviscatur Fenestra said:

I have wanted to go to Linux for a while now (see Disp. Name), and recently did something about it. I have replaced the Win 8.1 on my Acer Aspire XC-603 computer with Ubuntu 20.04.

I am now thinking about applications. I am used to Nero 8, Microsoft Office, Media Player Classic, VLC Player, Cool Edit Pro 2, Paint, Power Director, RealTek Control Panel, and I am apprehensive about transferring all my projects to new Ubuntu Apps.

What do you advise?

Is it possible to install any of my favourite (old) applications onto Ubuntu 20.04?

Patrick.

Hi,

VLC Player is natively available on Linux. The other ones has alternatives.
For CD/DVD burning, you can use Brasero.

For Office, you can use Libre Office.

For playing music, you can use Rhythmbox.

Cool Edit Pro 2, I believe it's a sound editing software. If I am right, then you can use Audacity instead on Ubuntu.

For graphics art, you can use GIMP or Inkscape or Krita on Ubuntu.

For video editing, you can use Kdenlive.

Don't really know what alternatives are available for Realtek Control Panel on Linux.

Theres also Wine and PlayOnLinux (Wine graphical frontend)These programs let's you run Windows apps on Linux. You can check whether Wine can run the softwares you use on Windows. If it does, you can install and use it on Linux using Wine or PlayOnLinux.

Check the official Wine Application Database to find out whether Wine can run the Windows apps you want. 

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Shahriar Shovon