Sign in to follow this  
Chalk-X

PowerShell and serial ports

Question

I have had no success communicating with serial ports using PowerShell under Ubuntu 18.  I can create the port object:

$port = new-object system.io.ports.serialport ttyACM0

And I can use "Echo $port" to view all the specifics of the com port.  But when I attempt to open the port:

$port.open()

I get a message that says "access denied".  I never encounter this error using PowerShell under Windows.  Any idea how to fix this?

3 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Chalk-X said:

I have had no success communicating with serial ports using PowerShell under Ubuntu 18.  I can create the port object:

$port = new-object system.io.ports.serialport ttyACM0

And I can use "Echo $port" to view all the specifics of the com port.  But when I attempt to open the port:

$port.open()

I get a message that says "access denied".  I never encounter this error using PowerShell under Windows.  Any idea how to fix this?

Hi Calk-X,

Did you run PowerShell with sudo or as root user?

In order to get access to the serial ports, you must have super user privileges.

Hi...i have a query too. I'm trying to communicate with an old piece of equipment that is only accessible through an RS-232 port using async send/receive messages.
I realize the above is extremely simplified, just looking for a heads-up on if PowerShell is capable of doing something like this and if so a few tips on where to get started.

20 hours ago, BonniCase said:

Hi...i have a query too. I'm trying to communicate with an old piece of equipment that is only accessible through an RS-232 port using async send/receive messages.
I realize the above is extremely simplified, just looking for a heads-up on if PowerShell is capable of doing something like this and if so a few tips on where to get started.

You can try reading Writing and Reading info from Serial Ports from Microsoft DevBlog to get started on RS-232 serial communication using PowerShell.

I hope this helps.

Shovon